B.A. in Theatre
国产偷拍视频Drama is one of the oldest and most powerful forms of artistic expression. In Biola’s theatre major, you will gain a deeper understanding of the dramatic craft, including acting, directing, design and storytelling. With both the knowledge and experience you gain, you will be prepared for a professional career in theatre and other communicative arts venues.
- Acting for Stage and ScreenStudents interested in pursuing screen acting will benefit from the partnership between the Theatre Department and the School of Cinema and Media Arts in this hands-on concentration, experiencing interdisciplinary learning and benefiting from Biola's proximity to Los Angeles.
Why Choose Theatre at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s theatre program offers several key advantages:
- Biola is ideally situated in Southern California, close to the entertainment industry, allowing you to enjoy world-class productions and take part in a wide range of internships and performance opportunities.
- Biola’s "Curtain Time in London" tour, allowing students to travel as a group to London, England, to visit theatrical venues and participate in acting workshops.
- Students have the opportunity to take part in dramatic productions each semester through Biola’s Theatre 21.
- As a Christian theatre major, you will have the opportunity to see how aspects of acting can transform the messages found in church and parachurch settings.
- Biola's theatre program was recently ranked by OnStage as .
What Will I Study?
As a theatre major, you will experience the practice of acting and study theories of how theatre functions and communicates. You will have numerous real-world learning opportunities to use the craft of acting to communicate messages to an audience who has come to witness entertainment, a spiritual message or consider an important societal issue. Course topics and highlights from interest in roles behind the scenes or center stage include:
- Directed practical experience in dramatic production
- Creating stage scenery
- Principles of contemporary acting techniques
- Introduction to elements of dramaturgy
- Building a stage model
- Script analysis
- Mechanics and creativity of drama in the church
There are so many opportunities to get involved in the areas of the theatre that interest you most, whether that be hands-on while working on a show or by taking a specialized class, such as directing or stage makeup. It's like our own little family.
I am thankful to the supportive and caring faculty in the Theatre Department who were there for me through my highest highs and lowest lows. They helped me to prepare for various auditions outside of school, in particular my one for Regent, and are still an active part of my life today. There is not room enough to express all that my time at Biola meant to me. I am thankful to God for every lesson I learned and I do not take lightly the responsibility I have as a Biola alumna to spread the message of the Gospel to every environment God calls me to.
Go over and above on your studies. Be a servant and work for the good of where you have been sent. That makes a huge impact as a Christian in a non-Christian workplace. I myself have worked with several midsize theatre companies in the LA area, including Actor’s Co-Op and the Antaeus Company, in many different capacities, and have been invited to audition for both companies. I have started a small black box theatre in my hometown and have successfully opened my first show there. I have also worked as an assistant director in several small theaters in the Santa Barbara area and have been invited to direct shows there in the upcoming year.
A degree in theatre provides exceptional general preparation for careers in film, theatre, performance, television, education or ministry. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in drama and art professions such as:
- Producer or director
- Costume designer
- Drama coach
- Prop manager
- Drama critic
- School drama teacher
- Stage manager
- Technical writer