B.F.A. in Studio Art
国产偷拍视频Art is a gift — a God-given form of expression and communication. In Biola's Bachelor of Fine Arts program in studio arts, you’ll be equipped with the aesthetic, technical and conceptual skills needed for success in various art practices. As you study in the midst of Los Angeles, an international nexus of ideas, images and realities, you'll learn about and respond to contemporary visual arts culture — its social, political, philosophical and spiritual concerns.
The design concentration integrates a fine arts perspective into a curriculum that promotes conceptual thinking and trans-disciplinary investigation while developing technical proficiencies to engage in a contemporary practice.
The interdisciplinary concentration allows students to develop their interests in two of the other concentrations by combining key courses from each into a focused double concentration.
The painting concentration focuses on a wide range of painting practices including observational representation, figuration and abstraction while engaging students in current discourses within the discipline.
The photography concentration focuses on integrating the skills of black and white darkroom techniques with contemporary digital color practices to produce conceptually driven, photo-based art.
The sculpture concentration equips students to think creatively while developing proficiency in a variety of three-dimensional fabrication techniques — including additive and subtractive processes, modeling, carving, mold-making and casting.
Why Choose Studio Art at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical studies component, Biola’s B.F.A. program in studio art offers several key advantages:
- Biola’s art department is a recognized leader in visual arts education, accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The university offers a vibrant visual arts community including a dedicated, mentoring faculty, a strong student Art League and a diverse student body.
- The innovative Biola University Center for Christianity, Culture and the Arts brings renowned artists, exhibitions, film screenings and conferences to campus — offering a wealth of opportunities to students.
- Biola’s ideal Southern California location gives you access to world-class art museums and exhibitions, as well as a wide range of professional internship and exhibition opportunities. The program features a dynamic approach to art history and art criticism that engages students in Los Angeles and the greater Southern California area’s galleries and museums.
- The degree includes a core foundations program that equips students in every aesthetic dimension. Throughout, the program also integrates art making, art criticism and art history with Christian faith.
- Students have opportunities for travel and academic courses in a variety of national and international settings, including Baja, England, Italy, Spain, Japan, France and New York.
- An innovative senior year program encourages students to connect ideas and media through critiques and conversation.
- Opening in 2020, the art department's new home inside the renovated Bardwell Hall will serve an ideal place to create, ideate, congregate and find inspiration.
What Will I Study?
国产偷拍视频The B.F.A. program is the preferred option for students who wish to pursue careers or advanced degrees in the visual arts. The degree is designed to give art students flexibility in constructing their program by allowing them to choose one of five concentrations — design, painting, photography, sculpture or interdisciplinary. All art majors take the first-year foundation core program in art and then select the concentration that is best suited to their academic and career goals.
国产偷拍视频Additionally, the program thrives on the interrelationship of biblical Christianity and artistic practice, offering a rigorous visual arts curriculum integrated with a strong liberal arts emphasis and Christian theology.
The Studio Art program has encouraged me to grow in more ways than just art. I have grown spiritually, creatively and personally through the help of the amazing staff and program. It isn't just my major, it is my home.
... Being an artist doesn't begin at graduation. It begins the moment you decide, 'Yeah, I'm an artist, and now I'm willing to put in the work to prove it.'
Studio Art, B.F.A.
Bachelor of Fine Arts students can use their diverse gifts and callings to impact the world for Christ through a wide variety of careers, such as:
- Art historian
- Commercial photographer
- Fashion designer
- Graphic designer
- Museum curator
- Web designer
What are Graduates Doing Now?
国产偷拍视频Studio art alumni are working throughout the United States and around the world in a wide range of art and arts-related fields, using their education and professional training to make a difference in the communities in which they live. Graduates of the Biola's fine arts program have found rewarding careers in many fields as educators, artists and designers as represented in the following areas:
- Advertising designer
- App designer
- Art appraiser
- Art critic
- Art professor
- Art therapist
- Book designer
- Ceramic artist
- Costume designer
- Creative director
- Fashion photographer
- Fine art photographer
- Gallery owner
- Interior designer
- Motion graphics artist
- Publications designer
- Retail display designer
- Set designer
- Web designer
- Wedding and portrait photographer