B.A. in History
国产偷拍视频To understand today’s world, we first have to understand yesterday’s world. In Biola’s history major, you’ll examine the key events, trends and worldviews that have shaped human civilization. As you develop research skills and historical perspective, you will be prepared for careers in government, journalism, teaching, law and more.
- Civilizations of the Americas
The Americas have a complex history — a rich tapestry of cultures, stories and peoples. In the Civilizations of the Americas concentration, students unpack the beauty and tragedies that have shaped the United States, Mexico and Latin America to deepen their understanding and appreciation of how history informs the present and impacts the future.
- Civilizations of the World
国产偷拍视频 Discover how interconnected the history of the world truly is. In the Civilizations of the World concentration, students will trace the stories of nations from Europe and Asia to Africa and the Middle East. This broad survey provides deeper context for international issues, relationships and tensions that persist to the present day.
- Secondary Instruction
For those interested in teaching History/Social Science at the high school level, this concentration provides coursework that, combined with successfully passing the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET), leads to a California Single Subject Teaching Credential in History/Social Science. The Secondary Instruction concentration consists of 42 credits.
The Professional Teacher Preparation Program leading to a California Teaching Credential at Biola University is subject to change in response to new legislation. Please see a credential analyst in the School of Education for current information on completing the requirements for a teaching credential. Students must consult with both their major advisor and a School of Education advisor.
Why Choose History at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s history program offers several key advantages:
- Biola offers several off-campus programs that are ideal for history majors, including the American Studies Program, the Middle East Studies Program, the Uganda Studies Program and the Scholars’ Semester in Oxford.
- As a history major, you are eligible to become a member of the Phi Alpha Theta Honors Society, which promotes research, teaching and publication.
- Biola’s location in Southern California — one of the world’s largest and most diverse metropolitan areas — is ideal for internships and job opportunities.
What Will I Study?
国产偷拍视频As a history major, you will become part of a community of insightful learners who love truth and who study history, political science and geography. Coursework will examine important religious, social, political and economic movements of human history, and aim to reveal God's dependability and redemption purposes throughout the world. Topic highlights include:
- Ethical issues within Supreme Court cases
- Comparing various civilizations and their cultural contributions
- Research methods in history
- Utilizing techniques of problem-solving
- Specialized geographical studies
- The value of history to a Christian worldview
- Doctrines of God with reference to history of Christian theology
Studying history at Biola has not only taught me about the context of the world we live in but also, I have grown in my appreciation of the sovereign hand of the Lord. All of history is in fact His beautifully and intricately planned story.
I chose to go to Biola for the community and how small the class sizes are. The fact that I graduated 7 years ago and I am still in contact with Professor Dewey, Professor Rood and Professor Christensen shows how much of an interest and mentorship the professors at Biola put toward their students. I liked that I was not just another number and that they came along side of me throughout my four years there. I appreciated the faith integration in each class as well.
History (U.S. History), B.A. '11
A degree in history provides exceptional preparation for careers in all levels of education, government, law and humanitarian organizations. You can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ through professions such as:
- Research or editorial assistant
- Historical archivist
- Lawyer or paralegal
- Humanitarian journalist
- Director of international relief programs
What are Graduates Doing Now?
Biola graduates from the history major have gone on to study at prestigious graduate schools such as the University of Southern California, Claremont Graduate University, University of Texas and Yale University.