B.S. in Design
Design is all around us. The advertisements we watch, the publications we read, the websites we visit, the products we use — all of them rely on the work of skilled visual designers. In Biola’s design major, you’ll receive extensive training in art theory, digital tools and contemporary trends, preparing you to use your creative talents in a wide range of careers.
Why Choose Design at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s design program offers several key advantages:
- Biola’s art department is a recognized leader in visual arts education, accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The university offers a vibrant visual arts community including a dedicated, mentoring faculty, a strong student Art League and a diverse student body.
- The innovative Biola University Center for Christianity, Culture and the Arts brings renowned artists, exhibitions, film screenings and conferences to campus — offering a wealth of opportunities to students.
- Biola’s ideal Southern California location gives you access to world-class art museums and exhibitions, as well as a wide range of professional internship and exhibition opportunities. The program features a dynamic approach to art history and art criticism that engages students in Los Angeles and the greater Southern California area’s galleries and museums.
- As a design student, you’ll have opportunities for travel and academic courses in a variety of places, including England, Italy and New York City.
- Opening in 2020, the art department's new home inside the renovated Bardwell Hall will serve an ideal place to create, ideate, congregate and find inspiration.
What Will I Study?
Throughout the design program, you will have numerous hands-on learning opportunities to become immersed into the Los Angeles visual arts culture. The rigorous liberal arts-based curriculum will equip you to integrate your aesthetic, technical and conceptual skills with a Christian worldview. Some course highlights and interesting topics include:
- Tools and techniques of visual computing
- Exploring and applying time dimensional design concepts
- Survey of Western visual art and architecture
- Use of digital and analog tools
- Current movements in the international art community
- Building and applying typesetting skills
- Art criticism
- Refining techniques in various art disciplines
- Critiquing and evaluating artwork of fellow students
- Evaluating contemporary art from a Christian perspective
国产偷拍视频Many career opportunities in education, ministry, film and technology await future graduates of Biola's design program. As professional artist/designer, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in rewarding professions such as:
- Film and commercial set designer
- University professor
- Print designer
- Museum curator
- Web designer
What are Graduates Doing Now?
国产偷拍视频Many graduates of the Biola's design program pursue graduate studies, while others move directly into professional design careers. Highlights include:
- Director of creative and visuals for a Nike concept store
- Digital media and design teacher
- Product developer for nonprofit companies
- Eco-friendly jewelry designer
- Documentary artist
- Graphic design and stationery entrepreneurs
- Associate professor of drawing and painting
- Graduate studies at distinguished schools such as: Claremont Graduate University; University of Texas; University of California, Berkeley; University of California, Davis; University of California, Riverside; University of California, Irvine; California State University, Long Beach; University of Colorado; and San Francisco State University