B.A. in Communication Studies
国产偷拍视频Everyone communicates. But not everyone communicates well. As such, people with strong writing and speaking skills often have a strong advantage for career success. In Biola’s communication studies major, you’ll learn both the art and science of communication — growing in your practical skills to create and deliver messages as well as your knowledge of communication theory and research.
- Dramatic ArtsThe world of theatre explores what it means to be human, and it's woven together by communication. In the Dramatic Arts concentration, students supplement their communication learning with Theatre classes, taking courses in organizational, persuasive and interpersonal communication alongside courses in acting, costumes and makeup, oral interpretation and more.
- Organizational CommunicationIn organizations, effective communication builds good teams, prevents misunderstandings and facilitates the pursuit of collective goals. Students concentrating their learning in organizational communication will unpack concepts such as team cohesion, work socialization, leadership styles, the nature and role of power and vocational calling.
- Relational CommunicationOur experience of connection impacts our morale, productivity and self-conception — but relationships are complicated. Students pursuing a Relational Communication concentration will sharpen their social intelligence by studying interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, conflict management, intercultural communication and more.
- Rhetorical StudiesSince Aristotle, societies have recognized the importance of rhetoric in motivating action and influencing thought. Students pursuing the Rhetorical Studies concentration will explore the ways in which rhetoric continues to shape our society today in courses centered on persuasion, political communication, gender communication, engaging worldviews and more.
Why Choose Communication Studies at Biola?
国产偷拍视频In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s communication studies program offers several key advantages:
- The communication studies department is a recognized leader among Christian universities, with an unmatched number and variety of courses.
- Biola has of the top forensics competition programs in the nation, with a history of more than 5,000 individual and team awards in debate competitions.
- As a communication studies student, you’ll have an opportunity to join Lambda Pi Eta, a national honor society, and work on service learning projects such as an AIDS hospice program.
- Biola’s location in Southern California — one of the world’s largest and most diverse metropolitan areas — is ideal for internships and job opportunities.
What Will I Study?
国产偷拍视频As a communication studies major, you will have a choice of three concentrations that will prepare you with skills to communicate clearly and creatively in service of Christ. In each area, your focus will be on developing strong interpersonal and group communication skills through drama, speech pathology and mass communication. Course highlights and interesting topics include:
- Developing public speaking skills
- Application of supportive conflict management skills
- Quantitative and qualitative communication research
- Introduction to argument and debate
- Application of communication theories
- Analysis of intercultural communication
- Drama production
- Evaluating messages in the media
- Playwright workshop
... My eyes were opened to the power of Christ — I learned so much.
Communication Studies, B.A. '14
As someone who has no law background, my boss was impressed that I was able to pick up on the jargon and thought process so quickly. I have to say thanks to the communication studies department at Biola for teaching me to think both critically and analytically that has helped me adapt to my current occupation.
Communication Studies, B.A. '17
国产偷拍视频The communications studies degree provides exceptional general preparation for careers in fields such as law, communications, sales, education or ministry. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Managing editor
- Corporate communications director
- Digital media manager
- Reporter or newscaster
- Church drama coordinator
- Film editor
- Web content manager
- Legislative press secretary
- Bible teacher or pastor
What are Graduates Doing Now?
Biola graduates from the communication studies major have gone on to study at distinguished graduate schools such as: Louisiana State University; California State University, Fullerton; Ohio State University; Regent University; College of William and Mary; Purdue University; University of Southern California; University of California, Los Angeles; University of North Carolina; and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.