B.S. in Biochemistry
Biochemistry, the study of the chemistry of living systems, is an essential field for those interested in medicine and health-related careers. In Biola's biochemistry program, you'll gain the strong foundation you need for entrance into medical school or graduate programs in biology and chemistry.
- Pre-Medical Studies
Why Choose Biochemistry at Biola?
国产偷拍视频In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and vigorous biblical integration of faith and science, Biola’s biochemistry program offers several key advantages:
- Small class sizes provide maximum interaction and faculty mentoring.
- Students get hands-on experience with modern scientific equipment in well-equipped chemistry and biology labs. Instruments include a high performance liquid chromatograph, an electron microscope, an X-ray diffractometer and a high-speed centrifuge.
- A pre-med committee and a health professions advisor who is an M.D. provide resources for taking qualifying exams like the MCA, mock interviews, tag-alongs with health professionals and general advice for applying to post graduate medical programs.
- Student groups like the Pre-med Club offer numerous opportunities for support and interaction.
- Biola's location in Southern California offers numerous opportunities for internships and research in hospital, clinical, industrial, government and other academic laboratories.
What Will I Study?
国产偷拍视频If you desire to make an impact on people by applying biblical knowledge and Christian faith to science professions in our world, then you are well-suited for this major. The interdisciplinary biochemistry program promotes the value and understanding of living systems at the molecular level, and coursework that integrates scientific theory and application with biblical principles and practice in the health science community. Career-relevant learning topics and highlights include:
- Principles of cellular and molecular biology, genetics and development
- Discussion of chromosome and membrane structure and gene expression
- Examination of stoichiometry, atomic theory, chemical reactions and nomenclature
- Organic chemistry with emphasis on reaction mechanisms
- Laboratory techniques for the synthesis, isolation and purification of organic compounds
- Classical chemical methods of analysis such as titrimetry and gravimetry
- Mathematical treatment of bioenergetics with emphasis on problem solving
The integration of science and Christianity fascinates me, it is possible! I am blessed to be encouraged by our professors who love science, but love God even more.
I utilized the same critical thinking in philosophical and theological texts as I did with scientific theories and evidence and found them all complementary in leading me closer to the incredible beauty and wonder of our God.
... It has been helpful to remember that despite those who laugh at God being in control of anything, they're spending their time discovering how things work in the laws that he made for creation.
The beautiful intricacies of God's creation weave faith, science, reason, medicine and the human condition into a wonderful tapestry. The skills and perspectives that were shared with me at Biola are invaluable.
国产偷拍视频With a strong biochemistry foundation and extensive laboratory experience, you will be prepared to pursue graduate studies in a variety of bioscience programs. Your studies will prepare you to impact the world for Jesus Christ in public- or private-sector research institutes, biotechnology companies, universities, government agencies, forensic science services and medical facilities, working in such careers as:
- Consumer products research scientist
- Medical geneticist
- Pharmaceutical sales representative
- Environmental scientist
- Medical and clinical laboratory technologist
- Biochemist or biophysicist
- FDA inspector
- Research and development scientist
- Crime lab analyst
For more information on careers in the health care field, please visit our website.
What are Graduates Doing Now?
Many graduates of Biola's biochemistry program pursue graduate studies, while others move into research internships or other scientific career-building opportunities. Professional highlights include:
- M.D./Ph.D. program at Loma Linda University
- University of Chicago's physical chemistry Ph.D. program
- Clinical scientist with focus on scientific methodologies
- Scientific researcher at MIT's Summer Research Program
- Intern at AEMTEK working in the food microbiology lab
- UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, pre-medical pre-surgical internship
- Graduate studies at highly acclaimed univeristies such as: University of California, Los Angeles; University of California, San Diego; University of Southern California; Michigan State University; Tulane University; Loma Linda University; University of Chicago; University of Washington; University of Arizona; Washington State University; and University of Texas